Monday, January 3, 2011

Memorial Box Monday - Elijah's Adoption - A Standing Stone

I posted this Memorial Box story a year ago, but as Elijah's Gotcha Day is approaching on Saturday, it seems perfect to recall God's mighty hand that brought us this treasure.

Most of you who know us are very aware that Elijah’s adoption story is no small miracle.  It’s hard to know how to even wrap up his story in the proverbial nutshell.  If you are unfamiliar with the miracles that brought our latest treasure home and are up for some reading, I would encourage you to go back in the archives to the middle of August 2008.  That’s not when our story started, but that’s when I backtracked and started blogging about it.

In June of 2007 we began sponsoring Elijah through the Philip Hayden Foundation.  God planted a seed in our hearts early on and we knew without a shadow of a doubt that Elijah was to be our son.  That was our promise from God, but we had no such promise whatsoever from the Chin*se government.  What happened between that point and January 8, 2009 when we were united in person with Elijah could be represented by one standing stone after another.  Our key verses throughout that time were from Isaiah 45:2-3.  “I will go before you and will level the mountains; I will break down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron.  I will give you the treasures of darkness, riches stored in secret places, so that you may know that I am the Lord, the God of Israel, who summons you by name.”  We witnessed leveled mountains, broken down gates, and cut through bars of iron.  Our God was mighty and it was an incredible period for our family to live through.

First picture we saw of Elijah
 
Our Memorial Box is filled with “standing stones” that show God’s faithfulness and hand in our lives, based on Joshua 4.  Now we have a literal standing stone to place in our box.  You see, Elijah and his new cousin Zane are both from Fujian province.  Their home province is know for soapstone.  We purchased some on our trip last year, but Elijah’s aunt and uncle also purchased this special standing stone carved from soapstone for our family on their trip just last fall.  We felt it was a perfect representation for Elijah’s adoption story.  We also wrapped it in twisted “iron” to represent the broken down gates and bars of iron that were cut through that brought Elijah into our family.  We thank Him for this indescribable gift, our promised son, and for the journey that He took us through to receive that gift!

Then....shortly after abandonment

Now....a treasured testimony!

6 comments:

Kate said...

Now...you can SEE what God has done in Elijah's face, eyes and smile. He is good!

Charlene said...

Love it! I agree, look at the smile and twinkle in his eyes now, so amazing!

How old was he in the orange and blue striped shirt? Grace had that same shirt on in the first picture we ever saw of her... My heart stopped for a moment when I came to that picture!

Amy said...

I love Elijah's story. what a wonderful testimony of both God's faithfulness and the faith of your family!

Thanks for sharing:-)

Petrie said...

Beautiful testimony of God's love for both Elijah, and your family.

I did not realize you met Elijah the week before we met Katie Mei (on the 13th). You were on that same trip with us, but must have gone to China a week earlier. Didn't realize your trip was so long!

Congratulations on this special occasion!

Janet and Kevin said...

What a beautiful post. What a beautiful smile on Elijah's face. God is good.

Hugs,
janet and gang

Mom Of Many said...

Oh thank you sweet Jesus. I love miracle adoption stories. Your Elijah is just so handsome. I love God's faithful love for the orphan and a family's diligence in seeing His promises come to fruition. Thank you so much for sharing!! xo