Thursday, June 20, 2013

Safe and Sound

Oh, it sure feels good to have all my chicks under one roof again!  Michaela took off from Grandpa and Grandma's house about 8pm our time on Tuesday.  We were able to have brief contact with her (over sketchy wi-fi) while she stopped over in Beijing.  Then once she got to LA she had her cell phone to use to call us.  It was so good to hear her voice and know she was safely on U.S. soil!  She said she kept trying to speak Japanese to everyone.  Ha!

Unfortunately she had some delays at LAX, but it wasn't near as bad as when the rest of us flew in last month.  We had all planned to meet her in STL, but as the delay stretched on and on we decided it was best for just Benjamin and me to drive to meet her.  She finally landed at 11:45pm and we couldn't wait to see her.  She was a bit emotional, too!


These two missed each other a lot.  They are so funny together.  I love the relationship they have!


Johanna and Ami had made this sweet sign and wanted to make sure I would still take it to the airport without them.  Also, notice the heart bracelet I'm wearing that Ami made for me to give to her big sis. 


When we finally arrived home at 2am we woke everyone up for hugs.  I think most of them remember it!  She is still soundly sleeping this morning, but we're anxious to have her up and chatty.


Michaela packed back some treats for us, including our favorite cream filled rolls.  They are a bit squashed from their long journey, but I'm sure they will taste yummy just the same!

Six weeks was a long time for this mama to have her eldest away, but it was 10 weeks for Daddy.  Having Skype made all the difference and sure helped the miles between us seem not so many.  I'm looking forward to seeing how this experience has shaped Michaela.  I already know it has given her a big boost in confidence and independence.  Now on to her senior year of high school!

3 comments:

aclark said...

YAy!! Welcome home Michaela!!!

Laurie said...

How exciting to have her home again. YIPPEE!! Welcome home, Michaela!!

Amy said...

Welcome home, Michaela!

Wow, a senior! what a lovely young lady Michaela has become!