Today we are celebrating our two year anniversary of Gotcha Day with Elijah. It really doesn't seem like that long ago, yet so much has come about in these last two years.
I remember it like it was yesterday, the anticipation, the excitement, the giddiness. We were waiting in The Inn at Shepherd's Field, watching through the windows for Elijah to come across the courtyard. The kids were squealing, "I see him! I see him! He's coming!"
Then there he was...
....bundled up in a puffy red little girls coat, also wearing the black Missouri hoodie that we had sent in the mail. He clutched in his hands his blue bunny backpack and just stood grinning from ear to ear. Of course we quickly embraced him and then we just kept grinning and laughing. He picked Ami up. We measured heights (I was taken aback at how short he was!), held up fingers to indicate ages of the kids, and just kept looking at each other and smiling. It was such a realization of all our hopes over the previous year and half. He told us today that when he saw us, it was like he knew us already. He had received all our pictures over the previous year and knew we were his family.
In looking back over photos from our two weeks in China, I am amazed all over again at how far Elijah has come. Our communication was limited to hand gestures, using our guide to translate, and using the electronic translator.
He was such an energetic happy boy, yet I poignantly remember him using the electronic translator one night in our hotel room to tell me, "I sorrow, Mama."
The deep feelings of his world turning upside down were there, yet he put on such a brave and happy face.
I have said many times before, he is the bravest boy I know.
"Sorrow" no more, Elijah, sorrow no more. You have a forever family who loves you deeply and will walk this tough road with you. You are one amazing boy; one who forgives easily, one who gives generously, one who laughs readily, one who shows great compassion, one who helps considerately, one who works diligently, one who tries with every effort, one who is learning to trust and love unabashedly.
We love you, Elijah. You were our treasure "stored in secret places" (Is. 45:3). We are so thankful for you!
2017 Year in Review
8 years ago







3 comments:
Jocelyn, you do such a good job with your blog posts. This one is wonderful!!
I love that Elijah told you today that when he saw you it was like he already knew you.
that's pretty cool!!
sorrow no more, indeed!
Happy Gotcha Day to you all!
Happy Gotcha Day, Elijah! We are so glad that you are forever part of the Wolfe family.
Happy Gotcha Day! We celebrate you, Elijah - what a special boy you are - Love!
Post a Comment