Saturday, March 12, 2011

Earthquake/Tsunami

As I'm sure all of you feel too, my heart is very heavy for the nation of Japan right now.  The devastation is hard to comprehend, simply unimaginable.

I love Japan, I love the Japanese people, it is my second home.  Most of you know that I spent three years during my teenage years there as a missionary kid.  My parents are still there (25 years), and also my sister and her family are there (12 years) as missionaries in the Osaka area.  I grieve for the loss of life, for the destruction that has occurred.  But most of all I grieve for the many that died not knowing Jesus as their Savior.  Only 1% of Japanese people claim Christianity.  Now THAT is a staggering number.

All of my family are safe and were mostly unaffected by the quake.  It was barely felt in Osaka, far to the south of the epicenter and main tsunamis.  As you can imagine though, "unaffected" is hardly the word to use.  While we thank God that they are safe and out of harms way, we grieve for the many that can not say that.

Here are some specific ways that you can pray:
*Pray for rescue workers to be guided to the needy
*Pray for the children and many that are living in fear, especially with each aftershock
*Pray for my brother-in-law, Chad, as he heads to the area on Sunday evening, that his steps would be divinely directed
*Pray that people would seek a Higher Power during this time of mass chaos, that their hearts would be more open than ever to the Gospel
*Pray that the gov't would readily accept help from nations around the world
*Pray for the Christians living in the affected area to hold fast to their faith
*Pray that God be glorified in all

Thank you so much to the many that have called our home and sent notes asking about my family.  Your concern is blessing to us.  Please join me in prayer during the many weeks and months ahead.

Also, this is the organization that Chad plans to be a part of:  http://crashjapan.com/.

1 comment:

Amy said...

Thanks for the update, Jocelyn.
Will be praying for your family.