We arrived in Joplin mid-afternoon and God guided our path to College Heights Christian Church. This is the home church of my in-laws, missionaries in Moscow. The first person I saw when we walked in the door was a good friend of my in-laws, someone they were anxiously waiting to hear from as to her well-being after the tornado. We were welcomed with open arms and were immediately offered food for our bellies and a place to stay that night.
We helped in the evening sorting through donated supplies and clothing before heading to our hosts home for the night. We were so touched by the outpouring of love to us, as basically total strangers. The body of Christ is very much at work in Joplin! Thank you to Terry and Carol for their open arms.
In the morning we headed back to the church for our assignment. We were put on a team of 10 to seek out a church member's home and help as needed. Our group consisted of our four from Columbia, a single girl that had driven in from KC, a couple that had driven up from Arkansas, a single guy that had driven over from Springfield, and four others from the immediate area. We were quite the motley crew, but we worked together as one. Again, the body of Christ working together with purpose!
We met Patti, who had survived the tornado huddled together with her sister and mother. Her home was left standing, but with much damage. Without our GPS, even the locals couldn't have found her house. We salvaged what we could from inside and loaded it up in a truck, trailer, and the back of our van. We moved it to a temporary location, but Patti still needs to find a place to stay as of this weekend. Please pray for her, that God would continue to guide her. She had such an amazing attitude and sense of perseverance.
We were so impressed with the organization of College Heights Christian Church. What started out as a few relief supplies coming into their church quickly exploded into massive outreach relief efforts. They are now a major staging location for clothing, food, and other supplies.
As those close to me know I am a very emotional person. I was honestly a bit afraid that I wouldn't be able to hold it together as I spent time trying to help. But, God gave me a sense of calm and it wasn't until the road trip home that it really started to hit me. I am still processing the things I saw and stories I heard. I was so thankful for a family to love and hug when I arrived home, I was thankful for a warm dry bed to make this morning, I am thankful for His protection over us as we drove over shards of debris and downed power lines, I am thankful for walls around me, running water, electricity..... the list goes on.
Here are more photos of our short time in Joplin. It feels like a drop in the bucket, but to Patti, I know we made a difference. We will continue to seek how God will use us in the coming days ahead.
Our wonderful host family:
Being sent out with our team:
Used to be a beautiful stained glass wall:
As far as the eye can see 360 degrees:
Walking to Patti's home, offering water along the way:
Part of our team in Patti's yard:
Patti's backyard:
Door in Patti's garage:
Part of our team and Patti (in blue bandana) taking a break:
Patti's front yard with my dear friends and servants, Todd and Carolyn:


























3 comments:
These pictures are incredible.
praying for you and everyone that's been affected by these storms.
It's encouraging to know someone who could help be the hands and feet of Jesus just like your sister and her hubby have done in Japan! Thank you for sharing this.
Wow, words can't express the destruction you've captured in these pictures. Wish I could have joined in lending a hand there.
Post a Comment