Sunday, November 6, 2011

Colorado Springs - Day 1

When Chris said that he had to travel to Colorado Springs for work, the rest of us quickly decided that we needed to tag along.  We've visited here a couple of times before and it's been a favorite of ours. 

After about twelve hours in the van yesterday we arrived to much higher altitude and cooler temperatures.  We love being in the mountains!

This morning we met up with long time friends of my family, the Mings, and worshiped together at their church.  It was a great service, and we appreciated the fact that they acknowledged that this is Orphan Sunday.  There are 152 million orphans in the world.  God's heart is for the orphan.  If just a tiny percent of proclaimed Christians adopted one child, there would be no orphans, no need for orphanages or foster care, problem solved.  (Oh my, this deserves it's own post!)

After church we enjoyed lunch with our friends (I'll get pictures with them later in the week).  Then we tried to head up to Pikes Peak, but with snow yesterday the road isn't open all the way to the top.  We're going to try later in the week and hope for more of it to be cleared.  Instead we headed over to Garden of the Gods.  It is such a spectacular place.  Many locals were there jogging, rock climbing, and enjoying walks.  It would be amazing to live here and have such a place to go to for recreation any time you wanted!  The kids were racing from place to place to climb and hide in nooks and crannies.  The sun was setting on us, but the light on the formations was gorgeous.  We'll be back again this week for sure!


Our view from our hotel window of Pikes Peak:

We'll have to try for a better picture out of the sun later!


The famous kissing camels:















We have a great suite with rooms for the kids, a kitchen and plenty of space!


P.S.  I realize I have way more pictures of Ami, but she's about the only one that will stop and pose for me anymore!  I'll work on that this week.  :)

5 comments:

Laurie said...

Oh, I'm jealous!! CO is my favorite place to vacation.. it's just SO beautiful!! Glad you guys are having a great time there!

Kathy said...

I am jealous too!
I love Colorado Springs!
Colorado is one of my favorite places.
I agree with Laurie.... it is SO beautiful
there.
So happy for all of you!
Have a wonderful time!

Jeremy said...

Wish I could be there right now! Looks beautiful! Glad the family got to tag along!

Kate said...

Nice! Enjoy yourselves!

Amy said...

GREAT pictures . . . the ones of Ami are so cute (and i understand about big kids not wanting to pose)!!

Have fun! enjoy Dutch Brothers and Slurpees!!

Can't wait to see more pictures.