Heading up:
It's 19 miles up and with more hairpin turns that you can count!
We made it! I don't want to know what the temperature was with the wind chill. It was COLD! The views were incredible. It really felt like we were on top of the world, being able to see in all directions. Simply amazing.
The line of the Rockies was stunning. I wish I could have captured it all in one picture, but there was no way.
BRRR!
We didn't stay at the top long, only visiting the gift shop briefly. We were all feeling just a bit dizzy and light-headed. We drove almost the whole way down in first gear, still having to use the breaks once in a while.
As I wrote yesterday, Catherine Bates penned the words to America the Beautiful from the top of Pike's Peak. It's easy to understand why when you stand at such a magnificent place.
We finished out our day with a bit of shopping and now we're getting baths/showers and all packed up for the trip home tomorrow. It's all downhill from here, back to reality. We're so thankful for this week we've had together, the slower pace, the beauty around us, the benefit of homeschooling so that we can be on vacation when the rest of the crowds aren't, and the blessing of a job that Chris enjoys and that provides for our family.






5 comments:
Wow! that is very beautiful! I'm so glad you all were able to make it to the top. and those Rockies are amazing. you captured it pretty good!
honestly, this has been so much fun to follow your trip.
i never thought there were so many cool things in colorado.
thanks so much for sharing your trip with us!
Wow - looks like you guys had a great time. Drive safely and we will see you on Sunday!! I want to go to Colorado now:-) Sherina
Beautiful! Elijah's first Pike's Peak experience - how wonderful! Praying you home.
Looks beautiful! Glad you guys are able to enjoy trips like this at the last minute!
Beautiful!
We had just finished studying
about America the Beautiful and Catherine
Bates. So fun to show the girls yours post
of Pikes Peak! Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment