Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Japan - Part II

I sure thought I'd be able to keep up with some blogging and pictures while I'm in Japan, but it just hasn't happened.  I've been able to keep in touch with Chris and the kids on Skype each day, so that's been nice.  Chris has done a great job holding down the fort and the kids are enjoying their spring break.

We've had a mix of activities going on here.  We kept four of my nieces and nephews here at Dad and Mom's for three nights to help Jennifer out so that she could continue her focus on coordinating relief efforts.  Check out their ministry website for updates on the aid work.  It is amazing!  My niece Anika even put together a great video of pictures from their activities:  http://www.onfirejapan.com/tohoku/.  Jennifer is making daily updates and there are tons of photos.  Thank you for your continued prayers for the Japanese people and for Chad and Jennifer as they reach out during this opportune time. 

It has been great to spend more time with my brother, Jeremy.  He had to fly home yesterday, but we made the most of his time here and collected some more memories.  Some of you may not know that my dad's parents came to Japan in 1950 as missionaries, so our family history here is long.  My grandparents have long since passed away, but their original house here in Osaka still remains as part of the mission property.  The attic there is a treasure trove and Jeremy, Dad and I spent some time on Monday digging through trunks, boxes, and making dust fly.  There was laughter and tears, such a neat experience to "dig" into the past. 

I head home tomorrow with a full heart.  I have so enjoyed this adult time with my parents and brother, as well as the crazy time with my nieces and nephews.  I have had little time with my sister, but I know she is doing just what she needs to be doing right now.  I know she is torn, but I wouldn't want it any other way at the present.   Jonathan (my littlest! brother), we've missed you.  Despite your absence, you've provided us with some laughter (Sean's Skype, Mom's juice glasses...)  I'm sure looking forward to our whole family being together this summer!

Kiddos, I can't wait to see you tomorrow.  I've been doing some shopping, so never fear, I will come home bearing gifts.  :)  Chris, Georgia coffee is also in hand.  Love you more than you know!

Here are just a few of my pictures.  I'll get more from Dad and Jeremy later, the true photographers in our family.  

With Mana, our exchange student.  


Out for okonomiyaki, takoyaki, yakisoba!


Takoyaki (octopus)....yum!




Out for udon, plus tempura and sushi......more yum!





At the Asahi house, where my grandparents lived as missionaries for 40 years.



In the attic digging through trunks.....Dad with his senior picutre



Missing our "little" brother, Jonathan!



Sending Jeremy off at the airport.  I miss him already.


More yum....yakiniku!

4 comments:

Kim said...

Great pictures J! I am so glad you got to go & be with your family in Japan. I saw Chris to day & called him "Mr. Mom." All the kids were accounted for & seemed to be doing well! Sunday or sooner!

Kate said...

Thrilled you had this special time with your family. I see it did your heart good and know you were a tremendous blessing. Praying for your safe passage home!

Amy said...

Loving this post. It's wonderful to hear that you're leaving japan 'with a full heart'!! PTL!
What a blessing to you that you had time together!!
praying you home!

Janet and Kevin said...

Such a sweet time for you with your family. so glad you got to visit at this time to help bring comfort in the midst of the trauma Japan is suffering. Praying for a safe flight home.

Hugs sweet friend across the miles,
janet and gang