Saturday, October 20, 2012

Lost in the Corn

Ever since Michaela was a toddler we've gone to the pumpkin patch every.single.year.  But this year the kids asked to go the the corn maze.......instead.  Waaaa!  But the pumpkin patch is TRADITION.  Tradition.....tradition!  (Sung like Tevye in Fiddler)  I guess it's a sure sign that the kids are growing up. 

So we went and tried it out.  It's a 15 acre maze with an intricate design.  You are given a map and are to try to find all eight checkpoints.  There is a trivia question at each stop and you punch what you think is the correct answer on your map.  We split up and let Michaela, Benjamin, and Elijah go together (with a phone!) and the rest of us stuck together.  It was cold and muddy, but we were prepared with boots, gloves, and layers.  It was fun for a bit, but after an hour, Ami and I found an exit and made our way back to the barn.  The others soon followed, not quite having found all the checkpoints.

It was fun, but most everyone agreed that we'd rather go back to the pumpkin patch next year.  Yea!  After all, even though there is a cool new design of the maze each year, who wants to keep getting lost in the corn?!  I honestly thought that with my claustrophobia I'd be a bit freaked out, but the paths were nice and wide and you could see through the stalks a bit.  And I had my fearless knight leading the way (although at times it was the blind leading the blind). 




There was one bridge in the whole maze where you could go up for a view and reorient yourself on the map.




This year's design was all about college football since Mizzou just joined the SEC.  If you click to enlarge the photo you can see the map better with Truman's head and the outline of the SEC states.


After switching out to non-muddy shoes we enjoyed a family dinner out.  Good memories, but next year we'll stick to tradition!

2 comments:

Amy said...

that looks like sooooo much fun!!

Laurie said...

If I had gone, I'd STILL be in the corn!!