Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Seasons

Our fall colors are just starting to emerge here.  I love this time of year and looking out to our changing woods.  Despite wishing there were some mountains in the background (!), I love the changes of season here and the beauty that God displays.



The changing of seasons to me means that time is moving on.  Healing and renewal can take place.  Yes, my heart still longs to be in the Sierras, but with time I've been getting better at fitting back into life here at home.  The use of Kleenex has lessened and time is healing.  I've been reminded of characters in the Bible that went through mountaintop experiences and subsequent challenges. 

One of those....Elijah, after he went up against the prophets of Baal on Mount Carmel (I Kings 18-19).  Talk about a mountaintop experience where God clearly showed His power through Elijah!  But immediately afterwards Elijah ran for his life in fear of Jezebel.  He had just experienced this powerful display of God's presence, then he runs away in fear?  Mountaintop then a "valley". 

Another of these....Jesus, after his baptism by John the Baptist.  You might call it a "spiritual high", but then immediately afterwards Jesus was out in the desert for 40 days being severely tempted by the devil.  Mountaintop then a "valley". 

There are other examples, but my point is that it's very typical and human nature to experience some depression or struggle after a "high" in life.  It's also been said that fruit grows in the valley.  I have definitely experienced that too in my time since returning home from the mountains. 

God has been faithful (and I have an amazing husband, too!).  I truly believe that He allowed for all of the experiences I had while away and I truly believe that He will continue to use my experiences to strengthen my faith and produce fruit in my life.  Psalm 121 says, "I lift up my eyes to The Mountain - where does my help come from?  My help comes from the Lord, the Maker of heaven and earth.  He will not let your foot slip - He who guards you never sleeps..."  I am so thankful for the time and healing that comes with the changes of seasons in our lives.  

1 comment:

Amy said...

I know it's been a rough time, but i'm proud of you and i know God is going to use all this for his Glory!