Monday, May 6, 2013

Clean Up - Part I

The girls started out the day helping Grandma get some summer flowers planted.



Then the boys and I helped Grandpa tackle some major sorting and cleaning.  I don't even know where to start in explaining this, but here goes.  In a nutshell, my Dad is a packrat.  That's problem number one.  The problem gets more complicated when my parents live in a house in which the previous missionaries never cleaned out all of their possessions.  Then you have stuff that other expats have left at Dad and Mom's.  Then you have the problem of adding in all of my grandparents stuff that was left at their house here in Japan after they passed away.  Then you have the added problem of things being so difficult to throw away in Japan.  If we could have rented a dumpster like you can in the States, that would have made things so much simpler.  So to make a long story short, we have spent hours going through piles of stuff that have been covered with tarps in the back yard, or stored in the garage.  It has been exhausting, dirty, time consuming, labor intensive work.  We have sorted things into piles of plastics, paper products and clothing, wood to be cut and burned in the fireplace, regular garbage, metal and electronics, special request pick-up for bigger garbage, and stuff to save.  We spent ALL day working on this.  I'll post pictures tomorrow.

No comments: