Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Rocking Chair

When I was in Japan in March, my brother and I spent a day with my parents going through some of my grandparent's attic.  My grandparents lived in Japan for roughly forty years as missionaries before they passed away.  The attic of their house in Japan had not been cleaned out and it was a treasure trove of things from the past; it was just like you picture from the movies where there are trunks full of pictures, old toys, and moth balls.  I brought home a few small treasures and one large treasure.

I wish I had a "before" picture, but I brought home a dismantled 1880's oak pressed back rocking chair that had belonged to my great grandmother.  After my great grandmother passed away, my dad saved the chair for my grandmother.  It was stripped and dismantled and put in a box and left that way for about forty years!  All the pieces fit in one of my suitcases and when I returned home this spring I took it to a local refinishing shop.

I picked it up yesterday......


......isn't it beautiful?!

I love oak antiques and am so pleased to have this piece from my Pruitt heritage.  Dad, I think this will make a perfect chair for you to use as you observe our wildlife from our picture windows this summer!

5 comments:

Alicia said...

What a beautiful family treasure!

Amy said...

indeed, what a treasure! Good for you for bringing it back, putting it together and refinishing it . . . your dad will be so pleased:-)

Laurie said...

Oh, Jocelyn, it is beautiful!! I just love old rocking chairs!

JeremySF said...

Wow, I can't believe how beautiful it came out! Glad we found all the pieces!

Kate said...

It's beautiful - what a thrill to see it live on, rocking future generations!