Friday, August 10, 2012

Day 1: Heading to Yosemite

With lots of hugs and kisses, the kids and Chris saw me off on the airport shuttle Thursday afternoon.



I had a direct flight to SFO and was greeted by Dad and Mom at the airport.  It was a late night as we had some backpacking food and items to sort through.  I didn't get to sleep until 12:30, which was 2:30am Missouri time.  We were up at 6:30 to get loaded up and on the road to meet up with Jeremy, Jonathan and Jeff.

We met up in San Jose and drove two vehicles heading towards Yosemite National Park (YNP).  I had requested In-N-Out burger for lunch, so we made a stop for that.  We also stopped at Bass Pro to pick up some last minute supplies and fishing licenses.  It was then that we realized our timing was getting very short, as we still had to pick up our wilderness permits and bear canister rentals by 5pm.  We zipped on down the highway at speeds I won't disclose, reworked some plans, and made it to the proper office with about five minutes to spare.


After that it was a quick carry-out dinner, some more last minute supply shopping, and on to the southeast corner of YNP, actually outside of the park in the Sierra National Forest.  We set up camp in the dark at a primitive campground, Clover Meadows, so as to be near our pack station in the morning.  Because there were six of us arriving from five different places and each bringing different supplies and equipment, we had more sorting to do and packs to get ready for our early departure the next morning.  So already, our first day started out with lack of sleep, was rushed along, and we headed to bed late again.  Yet, I was excited that this adventure was starting.




No comments: