Thursday, August 16, 2012

Day 7: Merced Lake and River

I said I wasn't too proud to submit a couple of my mirror shots.  But oh my, talk about shivers.  I feel like this picture tells it all....the morning after a day/night of near horror.   I think we all slept fairly well and started out slowly getting up and going in the morning.  Jeff was up early enough to thank Kyle as he rode off on his horse.  We also left a note thanking him for being an angel that night.


Obviously this place was not intended for backpackers.  I don't know how often it is inhabited by rangers, but we thank the Lord that Kyle was there and allowed us to crash on this little oasis.


 

Jeremy fixed us a yummy breakfast again.  He baked blueberry muffins and we had a backpacker's meal of scrambled eggs and bacon.  The freeze-dried stuff is surprisingly delicious.  I'm not saying that because we were so starved that we would have eaten anything, the meals truly were all scrumptious.


We still had to filter water, but we had the treat of using a water spigot rather than scooping water from the river.  And what a treat to have a picnic table!




Six people, very happy to be together after our frightful escapade only hours earlier.





Washing dishes usually consisted of licking your spork, plate, or Sierra cup very, very cleanly, then swishing some hot water around and maybe using your dirty finger as a scrubber.  We did have some camp suds to help once in a while, but obviously our methods weren't up to OSHA standards.  Mom must have had enough and did a thorough job of cleaning on this morning and in true Rickard fashion had everything arranged very neatly to dry in the sun.  :)


Over our leisurely breakfast we discussed our plans for our last couple of days.  We had intended to get to the other side of Merced Lake, then on to Little Yosemite Valley for our last two nights.  We had also planned to hike to the top of Half Dome on Friday, but we quickly realized that wasn't in the best interest of the group.  I have never been to the top of Half Dome and had been looking forward to it as a highlight of the trip, but obviously we had other highlights that made Half Dome impossible!  We also made a pact never to split our group again.  :)
  


We headed on down the trail with renewed energy.  We only planned to go a couple of miles, spend a relaxed day, and set up camp again.




This time the trail was much easier for the most part.  There were several bridges that we crossed as we followed along the Merced River towards the lake.


The trail below is a small example of cobblestoning.  Imagine that for endless miles going down, down, down in the dark.  Notice how none of us used this trail, but rather opted to go around it on the smooth granite.  :)


My dear mother.  She is such a trooper at 71.  She has always supported Dad in his love of backpacking, covering many miles of trail with him.


Ah, the lake, the illusive lake.  We finally reached it, and it was beautiful.  We put our packs down and ate some lunch.  The guys got right to fishing and Mom pulled out a pad to relax on and read.





Jeff and I decided to traverse on down the trail just a few minutes (not splitting from the group, and with permission!), to find a good location for our camp that evening.  We hiked down only about 15 minutes and found a beautiful spot along the river.



Upon return, this was Mom's new position.  :)



The guys continued fishing for our Sierra Dumpling dinner that evening.  We were also looking forward to Double Dessert Night as we had not used our dessert on the night of the midnight trek.  Jeff and I spent precious time discussing life on our Merced Rock along the river.  His outlook on life amazes me, despite the tough hand that life has dealt him.  I can't wait to see what comes of this trip for his career.  His expertise, and the proofs so far make me speechless.  Jeff also pointed out the Water Ouzel to me, a cheerful little bird, one of John Muir's favorites.  It flits around the running water diving and going under rocks to search for food.  His feet are not webbed, but he practically lives in the water.  God's creation, what a treat to enjoy the little creatures!  I cherish our time together, Jeff, and am forever thankful that God brought you into our family.




So about the fishing.....I had just taken this great shot of my handsome brothers.  Then I ignorantly proceeded to walk behind Jonathan as he was casting his first fly into the river.  I heard a THWACK and looked over my shoulder to find something that shouldn't be there.  Jonathan looked just as surprised.  He tried to free me, but we soon had to consult Dr. Clark.




In hindsight, this picture cracks me up.  Dr. Clark and his assistant (Jonathan) didn't have the cleanest of hands, although we did use supplies from the first aid kit to try to sterilize things slightly.  Thanks to a couple of trips to China, I am up to date on my tetanus shot.  :)



They ended up having to pull the hook with barbs all the way through.  Ouch!  But, all's well that ends well.  It was my own dumb fault for walking behind Jonathan.



I got to tag along as Jeff's assistant in the evening, as we hiked back to the lake to get an image he was looking for as the sun was setting.  We came to a beautiful spot along the river and then another one at the lake.  A great photographer truly "stops to smell the roses" and doesn't rush along.  Without Jeff's eye, I likely never would have noticed the beauty he pointed out.  The changing light does things to scenery that make a place look so different from one hour or moment to the next.  Jeff also taught me to pause after an image is taken and say "thank you".  It's so true that I tend to rush around clicking away with my digital.  Sometimes I'm so busy trying to capture the moment, that I don't stop to truly enjoy and revel in the scene I am trying to hold on to with my camera.



We enjoyed our Sierra Dumplings and Double Dessert.  It was also a perfect night for stargazing.  The rains had come and gone again, thankfully much more brief than other days.  The campfire was warm, the company was stupendous, and with warm bellies and full hearts we crawled into our bags for another beautiful night in the Sierras.

No comments: