Wednesday, April 4, 2012

A Few Tears (then laughter)

I had to cut my lunch date with Chris a bit short today when I got a call from the kids that Midnight had died.  A couple of distraught kids needed some hugs and guidance, so I put on my hat of funeral director and headed home. 

Midnight, co-owned by Elijah and Johanna, had well outlived her life expectancy.  She was over two years old, quite old by rat standards.  I wasn't very excited about having pet rats in the house at first, but the kids have enjoyed having them.  I have to admit that I grew to like them and that they are indeed quite social little pets.  Midnight is survived by her friend, Ginger, who now has the entire aquarium to herself, as well as control over all the food and water.



Morbid, I know.  We placed Midnight in a very nice box, with a love note inside.  The kids said good-bye and we buried her by a beautiful oak in our woods, where I'm sure Johanna will be found to lay wildflowers once in a while.



Tears, then came the laughter when Twix settled right in by the gravestone.  I'm not sure if her thoughts were, "She deserved to go, because she taunted me from behind the glass," or "I hope they cry over me this much when I go to kitty heaven."  Ami voiced her thoughts, "I'm glad I'm not all broken up about this." Maybe sympathy will come with more maturity!



Memories of happier times:


Elijah and Johanna are already discussing a new rat and what her name should be.  I think Mom is ready for a break from rodents furry little things.   Condolences may be expressed in the comments and I will relay them to the bereaved.

4 comments:

Laurie said...

Okay, I did exactly what the post says... when I saw Johanna's face I felt so sad, near tears. You can just tell how incredibly sad she is. :( Then when I read Ami's comment (sounds like my youngest!) I burst out laughing!! RIP to you, Midnight.

Kate said...

Can't say I'm too broken up about this either. :) But to the bereaved - my sincerest condolences.

Amy said...

Laurie, you have much more compassion than i do!!
I just laughed . . . and Jocelyn, even your grief seems a bit 'off'!!

The wording in this post will go down as one of my favorite posts ever:-)

Give your sad kids a hug for me . . .

Janet and Kevin said...

I am sorry about the passing of Midnight. We are pet people, and when our guinea pig died, we had a little furneral, too, and he is buried out at the side of our home.

It will give the next owners a surprise if they dig that garden whenever we move!

:)
janet and gang