Sunday, March 24, 2013

First Sunday

We all had a good night's rest and woke up ready to go.  Ami and Johanna woke up the earliest, but I think we're going to get through jet lag very quickly.  Woo hoo! 

We went to church next door at the church I attended as a teenager when living here.  The Kimuras have been pastoring since the time I lived here.  We love their family very much and even hosted their daughter twice in the States.  She came once while in high school for a 3 week visit.  Then she lived with us for a year while attending our university.  Mrs. Kimura has been battling recurring cancer and has not been well lately.  We have been praying for her daily for quite some time now.  I was very anxious to see her and give a big hug.  Yes, we cried together, but her spirit amazes me.  She has handled things so well. Unfortunately I didn't get a picture with her, but will try to get one next time.


After service we enjoyed coffee/tea time and visiting.  The picture below is a "retake" of one of Benjamin when he was less than a year old.  Chris held him up and all you could see was this cute baby face that looked like he was giving a sermon.  When I get home, I'll have to dig that out.  :)




Beautiful cherry blossoms in front of the church.


The kids couldn't wait to walk down to the train station and market area just down the hill from my parent's house.   We explored some stores, purchased some stuff at the 100 yen store (like the dollar store), and found some yummy treats to eat.  It was so funny to hear them exclaiming over things.  I loved seeing them enjoy it all!

On the path to the train station, yet it is also a road.  Everything is crazy narrow here!

Benjamin about jumped out of his skin when the express train went by at top speed!

Ah yes...Calpis (yogurt drink) and sushi!



Better yet, how about takoyaki (octopus cooked in a batter)?  Yum!


But wait, there's more!  Manjyu (red bean paste in a bread) and Hanami dango (pounded rice balls)....

And then, if you don't have time to brush your teeth.....
 

2 comments:

Amy said...

i'm so happy for you all that you are there spending time with loved ones! Looks like a great time. thanks for the update!

Emily said...

Looks like a wonderful trip so far. SO nice you are able to go for such an extended time. And for Michaela to be able to stay for 3 months is just wonderful!

Pam