For dinner we had one of my favorite Japanese dishes. It's nothing fancy, and in fact is frequently sold by street vendors as a "fast food". It's hard to describe, and sounds kind of unappetizing when you do, but it's more or less a cabbage pancake. Okonomiyaki is chopped cabbage mixed into an egg and flour batter. But it's the sauce and seasoning that make it so yummy. If you go to an okonomiyaki restaurant, you typically sit at a table with a griddle in the center where you cook your own. (Unfortunately we had an incident when Michaela was five where she burned her hand on one....a story for another day.) Each region in Japan is known for a particular food, and Osaka is known for Okonomiyaki. This is a dish that I make at home because I can actually get the ingredients for it at my local Oriental market. But, it's all the better when you eat it in Osaka!
Had to get this shot....it was a "snuggy pal" kind of day. :)
In light of recent events, I don't know that this is the best bag to be carrying around on the streets.
This is the window of a toy store. Hmm, that just doesn't seem fitting!
Now this is a store front that I know!






No comments:
Post a Comment