My father's family came to Japan in 1950, just after the war. They were asked to come regroup and restart the Seminary that had been established before the war. My father was just 10 years old. My own family came in 1985 and joined my grandparents. Dad took over from Grandpa as president of the Seminary for a few years until the first Japanese national was called to be president. Grandpa passed away in 1989 and Grandma in 1991. They served out their years here in Japan so faithfully.
I have myself spent much time at the Seminary and at my grandparent's home that was just across the street. So many memories are stored up there. Today after church, we drove to OBS to witness a baptism, a somewhat uncommon event for Japan. Very exciting! Then we had time to look around the small campus a bit and also revisit my grandparent's home.
After my grandparents passed away, others had used the mission home (built in 1950), but recently it was majorly remodeled and is now a church/parsonage. While it is so neat to see the mission work continuing, it was also difficult to walk into a place where once my grandparents stood with welcoming arms. The memories flooded and tears spilled over. But, I know Grandpa and Grandma would rejoice to see their home still being a place where God's love is being shared.
Pictures adorn the walls of the seminary halls where my grandparents served. Grandpa, a leader, and Grandma, a quiet servant alongside. I love and miss them so.
My sweet Ami, simply smelling a flower on the Seminary grounds, but to me she is drinking in the rich heritage that is now hers.
This used to be Grandpa's tennis court, now a parking lot. The house, now a church. Seminary dormitory is on the right.
The church sanctuary, once was the living room. The fireplace remains at the end of the room. Grandpa had a huge white "banana chair" that we kids loved to play on. Grandma had a huge wooden kokeshi doll collection in a cabinet (of which I have some now). So totally different than before, yet being put to great use.
This Bible study room was Grandma's warm kitchen. I loved her painted white cabinets with red handles. I can picture exactly where she kept her "pet knife", where she kept her breading bowl, where she poured more coffee into her mug throughout the day, where she kept her grocery cash (in the freezer door!), where I would love to sit at the kitchen bar for homemade mushroom soup on a lunch break with Grandpa.
This was the entry way to the house. The inside was totally gutted during the remodel, so it's way different than before, but I can still hear the bell that rang as the sliding screen door was opened. Grandpa and Grandma had SO many people in their home over the years.
The front of the house....Grandma used to have a lovely garden area in the front, now replaced with more practical cement.
Sweet memories indeed. I am so very thankful for the rich heritage that I have on both sides of my family to pass down to my kids. And I am even more thankful that they get to experience some of that here in Japan.
2017 Year in Review
8 years ago













1 comment:
Wow, that's crazy to see! Thanks for posting all the pictures. Feels like just a couple months ago we were there together looking for memories to salvage, eating our picnic food with mom and dad in grandma's garden. Bittersweet though, I'm sure - great to finally see it put to good use again!
Post a Comment