Thursday, April 11, 2013

Chinese Dinner

Today was spent getting things packed up and Chris set to head home on Friday.  I'm sending him back with two large pieces of luggage that contain a set of Japanese China dishes that belonged to my grandmother.  My grandparents were missionaries here in Japan from 1950 until 1991, living their lives out here until they passed away.  My parents have "only" been here 28 years, so you see, they have a ways to go.  :)  I joked with Chris that he was probably going to have to wear three layers of clothes on the way back home so that I could fit all the China in and wouldn't exceed the weight limits. 

In the evening, Dad and Mom treated us to dinner at their favorite Chinese restaurant.  We have been there several times over the years, and the owners are very friendly.  I've had Chinese food in the U.S., China, and Japan, and they are all different.  I guess each is prepared for the clientele that will eat it.  What we ate was delicious!

I've already been tearful throughout the day, thinking of Chris leaving in the morning.  The four younger kids and I will be here another four weeks.  It's hard to think of being separated that long, but we are thankful for the opportunity to stay here for an extended period of time.  It will be (and has already been) a great experience for the kids, and the time spent with my family here is invaluable.  Skype will be used a lot!

So, you may have even noticed in the States that Japanese people tend to wear masks.  I guess because they live in such packed conditions (such as sardines commuting in a train car), they are very careful not to spread germs.  They wear them if they have a cold, if they have allergies, to prevent catching sickness from others, etc.  This time of the year, it's not unusual to see every third person wearing a mask.  To me it looks like they are all working in the medical field, but it really is a wise idea.  Here is one display I saw at the store.....many kinds to choose from!



Outside the Chinese restaurant....one of Benjamin and Johanna's favorite Japanese anime characters, Doraemon.

 


The kids are enjoying extra cousin time with Josiah here.  They have spent lots of time at the park (great to have Josiah as a translator so they can play with the Japanese kids more easily!).

1 comment:

Laurie said...

I'm sure it'll be tough to say goodbye to Chris for so long. You said you were staying with the 4 younger kids... uh, where is M going? I have a feeling the 4 weeks will be FULL and thus fly by for you guys! :)