Saturday, April 13, 2013

Earthquakes

Yes, we've felt at least three in our three weeks here.  The first two I felt during the early morning hours while we were in Ishinomaki.  I've felt many before from living in Japan and California, but I have to admit that feeling them in Ishinomaki was a bit unsettling.  From experience, I could somewhat judge the first two as more minor, but one can't help but wonder where the epicenter was, and how much stronger they were at that point.  The ones we felt in Ishinomaki were only 3-5 magnitude.

This morning I awoke around 5:30 to my bed shaking pretty violently.  I also immediately heard the loudspeakers outside warning of the earthquake and to take precaution.  Then the house phone rang....it was my sister's neighbor in the north.  She had heard there was an earthquake in our area and wondered if we were okay.  I think especially since 3-11-11 emotions and reactions run pretty high. 

Fortunately all was well here.  This one was a 6.3, so pretty strong.  The kids are disappointed because they've slept through all of the ones I've felt, but I'm glad they haven't been more serious.  My new web friend is:  http://www.jma.go.jp/en/quake/.  I immediately checked there this morning to see the severity of the quake. 

The good news was that when I was awakened at 5:30, I checked messages to find out that Chris had arrived safely in LA.  He is now "home" in STL spending the night at a hotel and will drive the rest of the way home in the morning.  So thankful for safe travel!

2 comments:

Amy said...

wow! I've been out of the loop. I didn't realize there were any earthquakes there. stay safe and have fun:)

aclark said...

Wow! I don't think we felt any while we were there... it is always a very unnerving feeling but I'm sure it is even more so there.